A Cordial Welcome to All!!
The Buddhist Church of Oakland Dharma School is starting up for the 2017-2018 year, and we extend our most cordial welcome to you. We are continuing our theme of “EcoSangha” this year with a continuing emphasis on recycling and reusing!
Our first service will be September 10, at 10:00 am. We have welcome coffee/juice and coffee cake/bagels available at 9:15 am before the service. It’s a time when folks can chat with other members and catch up on news.
Our service, officiated by Rev. Harry Bridge, starts at 10:00. At 10:30, the Dharma School students go to their classes. Rev. Bridge then addresses the adults in a separate service or informal Dharma Chat.
We structure our classes based on the numbers of children registered. Right now, we are providing groupings as follows: kindergarten, first and second (taught by Ms. Aoki); third, fourth and fifth (taught by Ms. Hamamoto and Mrs. Ikeda), middle school (taught by Ms. Lawrence) and High School (supervised by Rev. Bridge). Classes are dismissed usually around 11:30 am.
On our first Sunday, the church provides us with lunch - hot dogs!
The Dharma School is devoted to providing a relaxed, enjoyable introduction to Shin Buddhism, its teachings and its practices. Our teachers dedicate their time to developing lessons, crafts, and experiences that we hope build a foundation for a Buddhist life. Some activities that are in addition to learning the teachings of the Buddha include:
- Our annual Halloween Party, haunted house and lunch
- Community Excursion – this year we may attend a performance of “Peace on Your Wings” in San Jose. (Last year, we visited the Marine Mammal Center in Sausalito)
- Our holiday season Toy Drive with toys going to the Fire Station next door
- Mochi Tsuki – the whole church gathers to make mochi in December
- Our Food Drive for the Alameda County Food Bank
- Hanamatsuri Play
- Our Bazaar and Festival with two days of games and food open to the community on Father’s Day Weekend
- Church Picnic in July
- Obon Festival with dancing and food in August
We would love to see you and hope you are able to join us. Please call me if you have any questions.
Buddhist Church of Oakland Dharma School